Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Project A.D.D.

Manic Creativity 


Combine Manic creativity with absent-mindedness and non-existent budget and what do you get?  A Sunday in my backyard.

Years ago, one of the quickest identifiers of my stress levels was how short my hair was.  If life was getting overwhelming, or I found myself in emotional crisis - suddenly I would be sporting my 'power lesbian' haircut.   No -- I didn't name it, someone else did.

Yesterday antsyness started to kick in about 7:30am.  Suddenly my couch-sitting, coffee-drinking self realized I'd shifted into coffee-drinking, pacing the house self.   SO I went for a 10+ mile hike up Moscow Mountain.  I was about 2 hours up the hill when my phone rang, and I was instantly reminded of an appointment I'd made with a generous staffer w/pickup.   We were SUPPOSED to go haul wood pallets together.   However, as I mentioned... I was near the top of a mountain.

My pallet stash
Thankfully that same wonderful young man was kind enough to offer to load them himself and leave them in my driveway.   I came home just about the time he was finished unloading (SCORE) and we talked for a little while.  He asked me about the pallet stack and my plans.. I have many.  Etsy is FULL of pallet repurposing.. but in the walk-about of the yard, and watching his face, I had a bit of an epiphany.

I can now say unequivocally it isn't hair anymore, it's projects.

Now before ya'll wonder if I've lost my mind (some of you quicker to leap than others).. know that each and every one of these projects will be completed at some point in the near future.  But for now, this is what we have in the queue (or on the patio as you will).

 The bus seat!

the wee bus seat
A few weeks ago I walked into the Main Street Antique mall and spied this wee little bus seat.  I know this is 'old school' (no pun intended) and it is the little seat I often found myself sitting in when I got in trouble on the bus, the one RIGHT inside the bus, just above the door, where the bus-driver could REACH me if I needed re-sat-down.   I got this little charmer for $30.00.  It was obvious to me she'd lived some time in a barn.. or in the bus, in a barn... or whatever.   She was MINE now!

I decided then/there she was going to be kiwi green on the metal, and some fabulous outdoor fabric, and she will live on the side porch, greeting friends and family who use that door.

going green
Last Sunday, she got moved around to the patio and the disassembling began.   First, I went about removing all the screws that held the back on.   That was a joy in itself, because they were rusted out and somewhat nasty.   Then the base seat came off (easy enough) and finally she was naked enough for paint.   Two cans of fabulous green spray paint later, and then I have to concede the back panel plywood is in awful shape.

Oddly enough, I find an appropriate partial sheet in my stash, and shazaam.  Step 2 down.  Except it's curved somewhat... and the metal clips the screws go into need pounded on and drilled out.   Okay - time for a redirect of attention!

waiting quietly for our next move
That meant time for fabric removal.   I took a picture of the rats nest (literal, not figurative) I found in the seat base.   That grossed me out.  Then I removed a great bunch of the urine and feces soaked interior padding... that was pretty hideous as well.  I FINALLY got close enough to cutting out replacement fabric... and decided I wasn't happy with it... so I moved to scrubbing the back plate of rust and debris.   This is where we stopped... and how she sits for now quietly on the patio. 

Anytime I'm unhappy with something.. I stop all work on it while I 'contemplate' where I'm going next.   Next happened to be a cabinet I brought home from Dad's place.

The Cabinet

Sanded top, now what?
Awhile back I made a trip up to my Dad's.  My stepmom was something of a 'collector' and since her passing, Dad has been 'purging'.    Luckily a few items indeed missed the burn pile (Dad's favorite method of purge) and the dispersing began..

I couldn't fit this cabinet in my car, but my brother wisely took his pickup, so home it came.  

It is a relatively solid, but unassuming piece.   The door scream very 70s, but are at LEAST 3/4" thick solid wood.   A shelf inside, and modified to include wheels.   Hmm... what to do? what to do?

Well...  the center panels of the doors have to come out.. SO THEY DID!    Easier said than done, I immediately leaned so hard on the improperly secured panel that I broke the bottom of the door off.   Down to the basement for glue and clamps, THAT incident didn't stop me.

Puck says "it is looking okay Otis, howzabout from your perspective?"
I painted the main cabinet a metallic chocolate color, and the top/door panels a champagne metallic.   THEN it came in the house for a professional inspection.

At the Bogar household, we don't mess around.  The top was closely inspected by Otis.   Surfaces and tops are Otis's area of expertise.  Puck - the resident apprentice was tasked with interior inspection, under direct supervision by his superior.   Keeby remains as always, HR and quality control; the true administrator of this outfit.  The cabinet was found satisfactory and passed inspection.


With that hurdle behind us, I turned my attentions back to the doors.  A quick trip to JoAnn's fabrics scored me a GREAT mustard/gold/black colored paisley-esque metallic fabric (Karma?  I think SO)..  I rifled through my stash-o-wood and came up with some very fine 1/8" backer board.  A little spray adhesive, some poly batting and a staple gun and we are now ready to mount to the back of the doors..

Of course, there is the question of screw length and whether I'm going to pop em through the front.  This DID happen on the first screw, but not in too tragic of a way, so we moved on. 



All said and done, I was pleased with the combo.   Pics aren't quite showing it off as pretty as it is in person.  However, I do NOT like how deep the cut-out panel is, so have been messing with the idea of hot-gluing in some black braid or trim.   Also spent a few moments eyeballing large quantities of decorative nail heads.. I thought that might be a cool look - not to mention hours of detailed installation fun for me.  

But then again, I'm the person that painted the exterior of a 1600 sq foot home with a 2" brush.  Sometimes? it's the journey, and not so much the result.  At least when we're considering Cindy's projects for their therapeutic value.

I can't presently post a picture of the completed cabinet... because, well... it isn't completed yet :)

However, what I CAN post a picture of?  A completed Pallet Art Project!  Yeah... here you were, wondering 'Cindy.. what about the damned pallets?'   Well hold yer shorts, it took me a few weekends to get around to messing with those!  Last Sunday I woke and thought "hmmmm  I should do something with a pallet" and this is the end result.

My new Welcome sign made out of a used pallet top.


Hey!  It keeps me sane!





No comments:

Post a Comment