Monday, June 25, 2012

The intro to Bogey's world of projects!

The Explanation!

 As my bio says... I'm a bit of a project freak.   I call it "Project A.D.D.".  What this means in reality, is I'm generally ALWAYS doing something, and odds are, I am generally always doing a number of somethings in the same time and location.

It isn't enough that I am going to paint.. I will have more than one can, more than one color and often times, more than one room going simultaneously.  Then I just bounce around from one to the next when I get bored of doing one color.

This approach extends into any/ALL projects.   I was recently reminded that it is best, for ANY significant other presently in my life... it's best if they just go away during the project and come back when it's done.   For people who are organized and methodical and linear in their project approach - I believe time with me CAN and will induce an aneurysm or at the least... a nervous tick.

Addendum!

 The other aspect of the projecting, is a whole lotta years of being single.  Although it's been argued by one or two that I've NOT been single the full 19 years-and they ARE correct, I've had a number of male friends [for all you thinking I like girls] over those years, but I've only lived with one about three years -in HIS house much to his dismay- while maintaining my own residence...  ANYHOO... back to single...  I've found for an emotionally healthy Cindy, it helps if I stay busy.  Too much sitting around leads to a lot of dwelling and self-review... and THAT is depressing and frankly - unproductive on a lot of levels...

I'm a relatively solitary body... I was once labeled a 'home body'... I think they meant it as an insult, but since I agree with it, and see nothing wrong with it - I will happily tote the title.   However, solitary bod means a LOT of time to fill.   Yahtzee is doable, knitting impossible with cats (at least my cats)... I could cut my hair (and did.. OFTEN) but even that gets boring.   I could cook - but that leads to eating.. So what in the heck do ya do?

I PROJECT!

I once calculated the amount of time I have to fill...  Let us review shall we?

If we look at work days, realistically I have from about 6-10 pm... so at max, 4 hours a night, 5 nights a week.   Weekends are an easy two sixteen hour days, so 32 hours on weekends added to our 20 hours of weeknight time.  Essentially a minimum of 52 hours a week to not mope - or 208 per month or 2496 hours per year.

HOLY COUCH Potato!  That's a lot of flippin hours!  This girl better have more than ONE hobby, I'm just sayin...  Otherwise?   that's a whole lot of couch-sittin, tv-watchin, popcorn-eating moping.   And frankly?  I could barely keep myself in popcorn, much less the prerequisite diet pepsi chaser.  

Well...  on the front end of things.. I DID do quite a bit of that.   I can remember renting 3 movies and watching them back-to-back on a good Saturday.  However, one relationship stands out more than others, and it was THAT time I came to really adore projects... we spent almost every weekend doing something to his place.   I was in Cindy-Heaven.   And after that relationship ended...  well.  I needed a way to work through the changes in my life...

I think about that same time, HGTV was birthed, so my sittin/watchin time was sitting/watchin some very creative channels which soon translated to not-sitting/watchin, but movin/doin.... Hey, isn't that Home Depot's catchphrase now?   well, it works!

What that looks like!

Projecting= Putseying.  Putseying in MY world used to mean things like painting.  NOT painting pictures.. painting rooms.   I like to paint.   I'm sure a shrink would have a words about my love of covering ugly with pretty... redefining a space from nondescript to wowzer.... well, I'm sure it's just me trying to remake myself into something worth loving, or some other shrink tripe.. but ultimately, I love creating beautiful spaces and taking abandoned things and repurposing them into things people fight over.   THAT is my passion.

You combine that with a love of vintage, and time-killing treasure hunts at local antique/second-hand stores... well, I kept busy.


So initially what started as painting and small renovation projects - grew and expanded to the point I've torn out walls, relocated cabinets and redesigned spaces all-together.   Basic plumbing, electrical I get.. but demo and construction?  My fave.

I spent a few years remodeling 2 different Moscow Manor apartments.  It grew from simple paint, to tiling tub surrounds and kitchen counter-tops... to eventually realizing I could buy my own place, so I began sinking my money into this little gal.  I bought a house in Moscow.

I think I failed to snap a photo the day of move-in.. so the numbers are altered, and the new front door was put in already.. but you get the idea.. this little cottage was soon to become my salvation.... and frankly?  if i were EVER found on a rooftop - well, it'd be for the all right reasons, not all the wrong ones.

I've been there 4 years so far...  And it's been a slow-moving transformation.    And one that makes me happy every single time I pull into the driveway.


What do we care Cindy and why are you still talking about it?

Well brace yerselves..  because this is EXACTLY where I'm going to continue talking about it.  This is the fresh start to historically documenting the changes (those already done, and those coming in the long weekends and months of tomorrow).   Once the intro is up... I'll start sharing things I've tackled and the challenges associated with the tasks.

Today my friend Liz reminded me that some of what I do should be documented.   Last week I unearthed all the html files of my long-ago webpage.    I giggled for some time over stories of dates and dramas, and I remembered how much fun I had writing about it.   Isn't blogging the latest way to journal?   That's what *I* think anyway...  and since it's my blog, what I think goes! :)



I hope you join me..  but even if you don't...

It's keeping me sane!

1 comment:

  1. I really need to introduce you to Sue Chen at U-Idaho. She's a house fixer-upper, too, and I think you'd both learn from each other. Let me know if you want her email.

    ReplyDelete